Friday, July 11, 2008

Nash's Surgery

Nash had surgery yesterday on his umbilical hernia. He was such a good baby. I did better than expected. I think it was because I have already done this with another child (Mallory in December) and knew what to expect. Brett and his dad gave him a blessing and he had an amazing doctor from Primary Children's Hospital, Dr. Earl Downey, so I knew he was in great hands. He came and talked with us before and he just made me feel okay about the surgery. He went in at 7:30 AM and they brought him back to me at about 9:00 AM. Dr. Downey came and talked with us again before they brought him back and said everything went well. His hernia was really large and he was glad we fixed it. When they brought him back he was still asleep and being such a good baby. The nurse told us that very few children or babies come back happy and not crying. Of course, Nash was that exception - he is an angel baby. He would kind of fuss a few times but for the most part he was just sleeping. He slept all day from when he had his surgery to 6:00 pm that night. He never woke once. I was a little worried I have to admit because I didn't think he should have slept that long. I stayed by his side all day because they told me to make sure he was breathing and not turning blue. They said when babies get the anesthesia sometimes their heads can tip forward while sleeping and cut off their airway so I needed to watch him closely for that. When he woke he was very happy, smiling and back to his normal self. I am so glad it turned out well.

I am getting him dressed in his hospital gown.

One last look at that huge belly button.

This is Nash after his surgery being such a good baby.

His IV was put in through his foot.

When he came back from the surgery after a little while he broke out into some kind of rash. His face and upper chest was really red. He looked almost like he was sun burned.

This is him sleeping all day. I tried not to move him too much because I didn't want to hurt his belly button.

This is the end result with the bandage on. We have to leave this on him for 5 days and cannot give him a bath until then either. I cannot wait to see the real end result of how it looks.

9 comments:

Kellye said...

Poor little Nash. I am so glad everything went good. I was so worried about the little guy. You are so lucky to have such a sweet little baby.

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

I am glad that it went well. Joel told Colten that it did. He really is such a cute boy!

angela said...

What a good baby...and no more huge pokey thing on his stomache...give him a kiss for me!!

Shortcake and Company said...

It's always so scary with little ones and surgery. I was freaked out with Ainsley's surgery to open her tear ducts. This is a much bigger surgery. I'm glad he came through it like a champ.

Jenni said...

Good to hear that everything went well. I don't know how you do it. I would not handle the situation as well as you.

Carrie Swenson said...

That breaks my heart to see him laying there in his hospital gown. I am so glad that he is doing great. He is such a doll. His his huge juicy cheeks for me!

Amy said...

What a trooper! I'm glad everything went well. Hopefully the end result will turn out as you hope. I'm sure Jennifer can't wait to see it.

Tiesha said...

Poor kid. I'm glad it went well. He sure looks happy in that last picture.

the lunch lady said...

poor little guy! that is so sad when they come and take your baby from you . . . I'm glad he's doing well now.