Thursday, July 24, 2008

24th of July (Pioneer Day)

July has always been my favorite month ever since I was a kid. There are many great things about the month of July. First of all it is summer, then you have the 4th of July, my birthday (the 23rd), and the 24th of July. I love how busy July always is and how there is so much to do. When I was younger the Fiesta Days celebrations were my favorite. I always thought that the whole town was celebrating my birthday over a few days of celebrations. It used to make Carrie so mad and jealous because she did not like it that everyone was celebrating my birthday. My mom used to tell me that the parade was just for me too. I always went to the rodeo for my birthday, the sidewalk sales, carnival, and of course all the booths down at the park. I have always loved everything about it.

Now that I am older it isn't quite as exciting as it was when I was a kid but I still love the month of July. And I love to see how excited my kids get when we do some of the things that I always did. We always make it to the carnival and parade. I'm not quite a fan of the rodeo any more and don't feel bad to miss out on that.

This year we went to the parade at the last minute with my kids. They wanted to go, then they didn't, and then they decided they did after all about 20 minutes before it started so we had to quickly get them ready before it was time to go. They had a great time watching everything. The parade just isn't as cool as I used to think it was but they seemed to enjoy themselves so I guess that is all that matters. Whytli had a good time taking pictures of every float that passed by with her new camera that I gave her (my old one). It was soooo hot. When we got home we decided to watch a movie with the kids and then take a nap afterwards. Later that night we went to Brett's Grandma & Grandpa Parry's for a barbecue. Usually we go to a barbecue with my family at my grandma's (it has been a tradition for years). But since it has been a long time since his Grandma has had anything at her house we decided to go there instead. It was fun hanging out with his family. The kids enjoyed playing with their cousins. We played games after (things can get pretty intense playing games with Grandma Parry).


Mallory was giving a princess a hug.

Joseph held Nash the whole time during the parade. He started liking Joseph's arm and then fell asleep like this.

We used to sit at my Uncle Vic's shop on main street but now sit by Janet's house instead. It isn't quite as crowded with everyone there.





The cousins playing on Grandma Parry's deck.


1 comment:

Shortcake and Company said...

I feel the same way about the parade...remember when they're used to more to the parade than just baseball teams and advertisements? Oh well, your family looked like they had fun any way.