Friday, June 13, 2008

Poor Baby!

Today we had to go to Primary Children's Hospital for Nash. He was referred up there by his pediatrician for possible Laryngomalacia or Tracheomalacia. I know, you are thinking what is that? Well, it is basically problems with the way they breath. Laryngomalacia isn't as serious (it is extra flappy skin at the back of their throat) and they will grow out of it but the Tracheomalacia is more serious (it's a smaller voice box) and they need surgery for it. Nash breaths very loudly and has since birth. He always sounds like he has a horrible cold. He also doesn't cry very loud. He has a really wussy cry in fact.

Anyway, they had to do a scope to see what was going on with him. Which is a little tube that has a camera at the end that they stuck down his nose to see into his throat better. It turned out to hopefully not be anything too serious which we are so grateful for! He had a very inflamed throat and the doctor seems to think it is caused by acid reflux which causes his throat to be inflamed and red like that. It also causes him to breath the way he does and to be so quite. I thought it was weird because he hardly ever spits up so I found it hard to believe that he had acid reflux but he said it was probably just always sitting at the back of his throat. Anyway, acid reflux is related to the Laryngomalacia and therefore he should grow out of it. He gave us some medicine for him to take for 6 weeks and that should help fix the problem. Yeah!! I always worry that when I take him to church or other places that people probably hear him breathing and think I am so horrible for taking a sick child out to church or etc.

On another note...we also took him to another doctor at Primary Children's who looked at his umbilical hernia. Which is HUUUUGE by the way and luckily he gets surgery to fix it. Mallory had the same problem and got hers fixed this last December but hers was not near as huge as his and I swear his just keeps getting larger and larger everyday. It's kind of a little scary to look at (those that have seen it will agree I'm sure)! And his pediatrician referred us to them as well because he said it was the second largest hernia he had seen. Anyway, usually they wait until they are 2 to operate but they are going to go ahead and do it now because his is so large and he doesn't think he will grow out of it. I had one when I was a baby as well and had to have it fixed. My mom was always so embarrassed of it as I am of his. (He is still so cute though even with it!) But....I am very thankful that he gets to have it fixed. It will probably be hard for me to have him go under with anaesthesia because he is so tiny but I know he will be okay.

He did not like the scope as you can see.

I had to have Brett hold him because I cannot handle these kinds of thinks when they do it to my children (or anyone I guess for that matter). But I took pictures anyway. The doctor just made me promise not to put them on You Tube of him being mean to my baby. It was sad too because he was in such a good mood and just smiling and talking with us just before they did this. Poor Baby!!!

6 comments:

the lunch lady said...

poor little guy. is the belly button thing genetic then?

Janean said...

Yes, my doctor said it is genetic. But it is also very common in babies to have it.

Shannon said...

Poor little Nash. Isn't it great that we have all these smart doctors to take care of our problems. After he has his surgery's he'll be all better. He is so dang cute. The picture of Brett holding him while he was crying actually brought real life tears to my eyes.

Amy said...

Poor thing. I'm glad he will be okay. And we don't think you are a bad Mom for bring a sick baby to church! Of course I live with two pugs, and their loud breathing is cute to me.

Tiesha said...

Poor thing!

Amanda said...

Hey, I just wanted to say hi, we have been dealing with the many of the same health problems with my daughter. She has reflux and tracheomalacia too. I totally understand! I hope your little guy gets to feeling better.