Saturday, August 9, 2008

A-Fib Again

While we were in St. George on vacation, Brett's heart went into Atrial Fibrillation again, which isn't supposed to happen anymore. He got his surgery over 5 months ago and things had been fine up until Friday. Luckily he knows when it happens. He tried laying down for a while and actually took a short nap but when he woke it was still happening so he called Dr. Hwang's office and they told him to go to the ER. At the ER they confirmed his self-diagnosis. He knew the drill and what to expect and knew that the medicine to try to correct the heart's rhythm did not work for him last time, so they just went ahead and sedated him and shocked his heart to get it back to normal. Jon came with us to the ER so he was in the room with us and about 10 other people.

I have to say that it was pretty scary to watch. I wasn't there the last time he got it done. I hope I don't ever have to see it again either. When they sedated him it only took him a few seconds for him to be out and then it was probably a total of only 5 minutes of him being sedated to them shocking his heart and him regaining consciousness. The ER doctor told him he needed to get in to see Dr. Hwang as soon as possible to talk about what needs to be done. That doctor's guess is that he will need to have another attempt at surgery to try and fix the problem, so I guess we will see what Dr. Hwang says.

Brett wanted to see what it looked like when he was being shocked. He really wanted a video but Jon's phone needed a memory card to record video, which he didn't have. Brett was a little disappointed. He jokingly asked if he could stay awake and watch, to which the ER doctor responded that he could, but that they'd have to send him to the psychiatric ward afterwards.


This is him about to be shocked. His whole body jumped up from the bed - head, arms, legs went flying - his eyelids flew open, eyes rolled back in his head, then into a freaky stare before closing again. It was not pleasant.

He could not stop smiling while he was still out. When he came to and was himself again we told him about how he was smiling and he knew that he was but could not stop himself.


13 comments:

Amber said...

You are in our prayers!

Shortcake and Company said...

That is seriously so scary. I really hope all goes well. Ditto to what Amber said.

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

I can't believe that his heart did it again... Especially just a little while after the surgery. Hopefully Dr. Hwang will know what to do to stop it for good this time.
I love that he was smiling!

Jennifer said...

That is so scary! I hope Dr. Hwang can figure things out and fix the problem for good. You are definately in our prayers!

The Duvall Family said...

I have to be honest and say that I don't like these pictures. He looks a little out of it to me and I don't like it. I'm glad that you took the pictures for posterity but they aren't the best pictures of him.

Saucy Lady said...

Oh no!! That is terrible. I'm so sorry that had to happen again.Good luck!!

Shannon said...

That is so scary and I hope everything goes well for you at the Dr. Keep me posted!

Anonymous said...

Glad He's okay.

Rich

Tiesha said...

Oh my! That is really scary, I hope everthing will be ok. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Kirsten said...

wow, that is scary!! I bet you were freaking out. That would really freak me out!! We will be thinking of you guys! Hope he is well!

Melanie said...

How scary! I hope the doctor can figure out how to fix it for good. How funny that he wanted to stay awake. Good thing they didn't let him.

Erin said...

Sorry to hear that!! How scary!! Good luck, and I'll remember in my prayers!

Amy said...

Sounds like you had a little more adventure than you wanted during your vacation. Very scary, good thing he knew what was going on, and called the doctor. (most guys are stubborn). Only a guy would ask to stay awake!