Saturday, December 13, 2008

Playing in the Snow

This was our first big snow storm for the winter season and my kids of course were dying to play outside in it. I of course, being the big grouch that I am about the SNOW did not want to have them go out and play. I absolutely HATE everything about the snow. It makes me very ornery and every year I am reminded of how much I hate it and want to live somewhere else. Anyway, I was trying to make up every excuse possible of why they could not play outside in the snow (your boots are too small, coats too small or your gloves are too small) but everything that I had an excuse for Brett found a solution for. I was even trying to bribe them into not wanting to go out and play but it wasn't working. Now before you think that I am a big Grinch and do not let my kids have any fun you also have to hear me out as to the other reasons why I hate having them go outside to play in the snow. I do not enjoy having to take FOREVER to bundle them all up and get everything just perfect, then have them go outside and come back 5 MINUTES later to say that they need to go to the bathroom and have to take everything off and start all over again. Then they are out there for about 15 minutes and become really cold and realize that they do not like the cold like their mother and come back in and have to help them in the freezing cold garage to get everything off all over again. Now if they were to play out there for at least a couple of hours and not have to go to the bathroom 5 minutes after you send them out I might be okay with them playing out there and not be a big grouch about it and not care that they want to play in the snow but this happens EVERY time. I remember when I was a kid and loved the snow we used to play out there for hours and make forts and go sledding and do all sorts of fun stuff. Maybe my orneriness of the snow rubs off on them and they realize after the 15 minutes of being out there that it isn't all that great like I am always complaining about. I guess I just need to get over this and let them enjoy their 15 minutes out there and then come back in to the nice warm house and have some hot chocolate.

Needless to say, they had a good 15 minutes of playing out there and did come back in and enjoyed some hot chocolate.

They had their cousin Kynli over to play in it with them and Whytli's friend from school - Anna Carter.




2 comments:

Shannon said...

Look how much fun they had. I love the snow!

The Duvall Family said...

I agree 100% with your reasoning. It takes forever to get them bundled up for five minutes worth of fun. Luckily my boys are old enough to get ready themselves and Madison isn't old enough to go outside so I only have to worry about the two girls.