Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tubes in the Ears

On Friday the 27th of February, Nash had to get tubes in his ears due to 3 ear infections in a row in both ears during the last 2 months. Honestly, I am not sure if they ever even went away. He had to take a different antibiotic each time and I don't think they ever did a thing, so the doctor recommended tubes and referred us to Dr. Gibb an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor who determined that he indeed needed tubes. When he looked at his ears he still had infections in both ears with a lot of fluid on the ear drums.

We had to be at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. and he was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. When we first got there he was just happy as can be. I thought he would be throwing a fit since he hadn't eaten or drank anything since the night before. Usually when he wakes up first thing in the morning he is ready for breakfast. He was quite a cheerful little guy. The hardest part for me is always when they come and get them to take them away to surgery and they start crying because they are going to a complete stranger and there is nothing you can do. Nash didn't cry though, he did very well. When the nurse tried to take him he shook his head no at him. Then he showed Nash his badge and he reached for it and went to the nurse and was too occupied with the badge to even notice that he was taken away and out of the room away from us. That made it a lot easier on me. The surgery only took about 10 minutes and he was back in his room by 8:15. The doctor said he had a lot of pus in his ears that he had to drain and that should help a lot too. Of course, when they brought him back he wasn't as cheerful as he was when he left but they said that was due to the anesthesia and it makes them really upset. All it took to cheer him up was a bottle of juice and some crackers. We were out of there and on our way home by 8:45. I was surprised at how fast it was. He is doing great now and you wouldn't even know he had anything done.

Since then - he had a 2 week checkup and the doctor said his ears look great and the tubes were successful.


This is him in the hat that they gave to him at the hospital.


Not a happy baby - he didn't know what was going on.

All better.

Ready to go home.

11 comments:

the lunch lady said...

he is so cute! poor little guy -- ear infections are NO fun.

Kirsten said...

That sounds exactly like our story of Logan 3 years ago! I hate ear infections! I hope they stay in... logan's fell out a year later and had to get another set. It didn't go as well the second time! Poor little Nash! he's so cute!

angela said...

i didn't even know he had to get this done...i am a super sucky aunt!! it looks like it wasn't too traumatic for him though, thats good. he is so cute

Mrs. Rogers said...

don't they look so sweet in the little hospital jammies? i'm glad all went well.

Shannon said...

I'm glad that he is feeling better and that everything went well. Ear aches are the worst possible pain you can be in. I get them all the time, so I always feel bad when I hear of kids having them. He looks cute in the hat and hospital jammies.

Lacey said...

Poor little cutie! He is so stinking cute and it's no fun to see them hurt! I feel for you! At least it was fast and successful. Glad to hear he's feeling better!

Sarah said...

Glad he is doing better. I hate ear infections. Why are ear infections always so bad with boys? Go figure.
Wish you all well.
:)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know he was getting this done! Poor little guy. I'm glad he is feeling better though. He is the cutest.

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

He is such a good baby! I am glad that he went to the guy ok. That would have made it so much harder.

Cheree said...

I know I say this all the time, but I just want to pinch those cheeks. I am so glad that he got tubes and that it will solve the problem. That kid is so dang cute!

Whytli said...

Poor baby.