Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mallory's Hospital Stay (Dehydrated)

This is her back at home now and still not feeling well but getting some sleep. So far we have not been able to get her to drink or eat anything. She is very, very, very ornery right now and does not want to do anything. She is very hard to reason with. If anyone has any suggestions as to reasoning with a 2 1/2 year old I am all ears!

The doctor wanted her to stay there until she could keep her food down. Well for breakfast she did not eat much and for lunch she ate hardly anything either. The last time she had thrown up was a little after midnight and so at around 2:00 pm they let us go home. Just before it was time to go home she said to us as she was crying while they were taking out her IV that "she did not like this place!" She still had a fever but they gave her a suppository to help with that. We are just supposed to make sure she drinks plenty of fluids so she does not get dehydrated again and watch her fever.

She really enjoyed the few presents that her wonderful aunts brought her. This is a picture of her putting on over and over the lipstick from the makeup that Carrie and kids brought her. She has also put it on her forhead as well. We kept telling her that she had enough on and she would say "but it's pretty, do you want some?"

She did have her moments were she was happy. She would be happy one moment and then turn really mean the next and start crying. She called me a couple of times the next morning before I got there crying and wanting me and asking me to take her home. It was so sad!


She finally fell asleep! I did not stay the night with her at the hospital because I have a baby that needs to be nursed but Brett stayed with her. It was really heart breaking to leave her. I did not get very good sleep that night worrying about her.

She was running a fever here.

As you can see she is not too happy to be there! She kept asking us to take the IV out she didn't need it on. She was not too happy about that. She just kept crying saying "oweee!"

Mallory got sick on Sunday with a cold and did not go to church. On Monday she seemed pretty okay just a little ornery but she threw up that night and again in the early morning but then on Tuesday she seemed fine in the morning. I had to go Orem to do a couple of errands and thought she would be fine but just for safe measure I would drape a towel over her and bring a throw-up bowl with us. Those of you who know me well know that I do not do well with kids throwing up (or anyone throwing up for that matter) but I cannot stomach it. Fortunately, Brett has been there every single time our kids have ever thrown up and I have been lucky not to have to be involved in the cleaning up process. Well just as we pulled into the parking lot at the first place to go in Orem, Mallory started breathing heavily and threw up. Luckily for my trusty little throw-up bowl (that my friend Kellye made fun of) she was able to do it all in there. Well I had no mess to clean up I just had to dump that stuff in the parking lot and I did wipe the bowl down with some wipes (with a little gagging involved but I survived). Well, we went to do one more errand and she seemed okay for a bit but when I got home she was starting to get really ornery and so I decided to call Brett and make him come home. I could not handle having to risk cleaning up any throw up. The good husband that he is, he came right home and was right there on the couch with her hanging out. We made her a doctor appointment because she was not holding anything down (not even water) and long story short at the doctors office they determined that she was dehydrated and we needed to take her to the hospital for a night stay. They hooked her up to an IV to get fluid in her and help her since she could not keep anything down. It was not the funnest thing ever and it is so hard because she is so little and didn't really understand why she was there.




8 comments:

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

This is so sad she looks so miserable!!! I am glad that she is home now and hopefully she will get better soon.

Dani said...

That breaks my heart to see the cute thing in the hosptial. And to think I talked to you this morning and you didn't even mention it....
And we did talk to Joseph.

Jenni said...

She looks so sad in those pictures. The poor little thing. You seemed to handle everything so well, especially with a newborn. I hope she continues to get better. Good luck!

Kirsten said...

That is so sad!! Poor little Mallory!! I hate when little ones have to be in the hospital... they just don't understand!! I dropped off a little coloring book for her but she wasn't too happy to see me... poor baby!!

Shannon said...

You didn't even say anything to me last night, you brat. You handled it very well. I don't do well with throw up either. I'm glad she's doing better.

Kellye said...

Poor Mallo. Hopefully she will feel better. The barf bowl is a good idea in the car. I just think if you are at home you should run for the toilet. I am only making fun of the people who are old enough to make it to the toilet, but for some reason want someone else to have to clean up their puke up out of a bowl so that they don't have to run to the bathroom. It is yucky all around. It was funny to see you holding that bowl and gagging though.

Shortcake and Company said...

Oh gosh, Janean! I'm sorry!! That doesn't sound like a fun adventure at all. I hope she gets better soon. Good luck with the reasoning.... ;)

Alys n Kin said...

Hey this sickness is horrible! I hope your girls are doing better. That is so nice that Brett could stay home to be with Nash. He is such a cutie. Are you guys done having kids or do you want to contribute some more beautiful children to this world?